One minute you’re up and one you’re down. There was a glimpse of hope before the 10-man FC Wichita fell to Saint Louis FC 4-3 in extra time on Wednesday night.

A missed penalty kick by Saint Louis’ Jose Angulo in added time flew over the top of the cross bar, giving FC Wichita that hope. Minutes later, it was dashed when Tyler David sent one behind the keeper, pushing the game to extra time.

“I really thought that was it,” goalkeeper Mark Weir said. “They’re a tough club and showed a lot of resilience.”

Despite Saint Louis being a professional club and much larger than FC Wichita, there was no fear in the eyes on a beautiful night at Stryker Soccer Complex.

Leo Sosa broke through with a penalty kick in the fifth minute to put FC Wichita in the lead and Saint Louis on their heels.

“We have some good things to take away from this,” Sosa said. “We can’t get down on ourselves and have to move on.”

FC Wichita controlled the pace and tempo throughout the first half but a missed assignment on a Saint Louis corner leveled the match 1-1 in the 33rd minute when Alec Cochran struck home.

The contest was tied 1-1 at the break.

The good guys jumped back on it when Gordy Gurson tapped in a rebound off an incredible effort from Catarina hit the post, giving FC Wichita the 2-1 lead in the 62nd minute.

“I think we developed a personality tonight,” FC Wichita head coach Steve Ralos said. “We saw a glimpse of what our potential could be.”

The match remained in limbo when Saint Louis equalized in the 70th minute. That’s when Deri Corfe sent a rocket from 25 yards out past STL keeper Devala Gorrick, giving Wichita the 3-2 lead in the 81st minute.

Colton Haskin was shown a straight red after an intentional handball to save the game tying goal in added time. It was a fair sacrifice, as Angulo skied the penalty kick to keep the advantage in Wichita’s favor. Substitute Tyler David would find STLFC’s third equalizer of the night with his head in the dying moments of regulation to tack-on another 30 minutes of action to find a winner.

Five minutes into the extra time, the short-handed Wichita side conceded from a long range shot from Angulo. A couple of questionable calls late in the second extra session, one a no-call and one called, but was out of the box, but all of them came up empty as FC Wichita fell in a high intensity match.

“If our boys play like this tonight,” Ralos said. “We’ll win the conference and never lose another game.”

FC Wichita will hope for a quick recovery as the’re preparing for their fourth game in 10 days. They’ll travel to Texas for a Friday showdown with Dallas City FC scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. Join us at Jersey’s Grill and Bar (3213 N Toben St) for the watch party!

The boys will resume their home slate of matches on May 27 against Ozark FC. That match will start at 7:30 p.m. at Stryker Soccer Complex.

About Charles Chaney

Charles Chaney is a social media professional for both the FC Wichita men's and women's clubs.